NASHVILLE (Florida Sports Wire) – No. 2 Orlando City SC defeated No. 7 Nashville SC on Tuesday night at GEODIS Park to complete the sweep of the best-of-three Round One series in the 2023 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs. The win marks the Club’s first road win in postseason history, clinching its place in the Eastern Conference Semifinal for the second time in Club history and the first since 2020.
The Lions will next host the winner of the No. 3 Columbus Crew/No. 6 Atlanta United FC in the Eastern Conference Semifinal at Exploria Stadium, with the date to be announced later.
Iván Angulo was the lone goal scorer on the night, netting the game-winning goal and his first career Audi MLS Cup Playoff goal. He is the fifth Lion in Club history to score in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese recorded his second consecutive shutout of the postseason, his 13th across all competitions, making four saves in the game.
The Lions capitalized early in the match, forcing Nashville into a tough back pass within their own penalty area that was intercepted by Angulo. The Colombian fought off two defenders before popping a shot over the head of Joe Willis for the game’s opening and lone goal.
- With his goal in the game, Iván Angulo recorded his sixth goal across all competitions this season and first career MLS postseason goal.
- The Lions have now won their last six games, dating back to Sept. 30, a 3-0 win at Montreal.
- Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese made four saves on the night, picking up his second shutout of the postseason and 13th across all competitions this year.
- The win marked Orlando’s first road playoff win in Club history.
- Orlando advances to the Eastern Conference Semifinal for the second time in Club history, last achieving the feat during the 2020 season.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made no changes to his starting XI on Tuesday night, going with the same lineup that earned a 1-0 win over Nashville in Game 1 at Exploria Stadium.